Drug Overdose (or simply overdose or OD) is the ingestion or application of a drug or other substance in quantities greater than recommended amount. An overdose may be accidental or intentional.
In 2013, 43,982 drug overdose deaths were reported in US out of which 22,767 was due to overdose prescription drugs and 16,235 was due to overdose of opioids.
Some of the common drugs that need treatment due to drug overdose is following:
- Diazepam with alcohol
- Alcohol with sleeping tablets
- Methadone and Heroin
Prevention of drug overdose:
- Child resistant in drug bottles
- Keeping the drugs safely in locked cabinet
- Providing proper patient counseling
- Creating awareness about early and prompt treatment of the victim